O lthof Funeral Home, Inc. was started in 1946 by Robert L. and Louise Smith Olthof. When they first started, Robert worked at other area funeral homes, and Louise taught kindergarten at the Pennsyvania Avenue School. Robert Leon Olthof their son, assumed the Licensed Manager position around 1965, when his father became ill.
Over the years, the size of the facility has grown as the business has prospered. The first addition in 1950, the second in 1955 and throughout the following years, the Olthof family has purchased various properties surrounding the funeral home for future expansion. In 1980, the final expansion was completed, which has enabled Olthof Funeral home to handle many calling hours and funerals at one time. The facility also has a parking lot for 100 vehicles.
Today, the funeral home is managed by Robert Lawrence Olthof, a third generation funeral director. For over 50 years, Olthof Funeral Home, Inc. has served families of all faiths in both New York and Pennsylvania.